Friday, December 24, 2010

Internships, Networking and the Business of Life

Shelton Connecticut
Mission? Visiting family

Networking

It's weird transitioning in life. Were all constantly in a state of transition or becoming. It boils down to a matter of degree.  Since I left active duty in September of 2007, and began Christian Allaire's Sailing Life and Other Adventures, I've been in near constant state of hyper transition, while never really gaining my footing. Once I determined to make a bold move to stop sailing and head out to San Francisco, I really went into a state of flux.


Since arriving in San Rafael, California last June, I've begun to find my stability. It is the first tine that I know of where I've arrived in a new town and not had the latent pressure of a move or transfer looming. This has been liberating, even more so than what one would think given I had the total freedom of sailing around the planet for as long as I wanted. That, as some know, did not turn out to be my cup of tea.


That is the business of life.


One thing the U.S. Coast Guard taught me was the value of networking. The trend of social media is one big gigantic networking tool. However, in my opinion it still boils down to personal relationships, brought on my happenstance, some luck and initiative. I am grateful to have been born with a gregarious nature which has assisted in networking. I have no problem busting a move on someone to find out what the program is.


Case in point. In October at Dominican University, I attended a job fair featuring about 50 companies looking higher college graduates. It is interesting to note that I have over a year and half before I graduate, so why would I attend? I thought it a perfect networking opportunity and a way to start learning about the mysterious world of internships. Well it worked. I gripped and grinned, schmoozed and practiced the art of informal interaction with potential employers. Worked on my 30 second "commercial" pimping out my strengths. I scored an internship interview with a big financial services company in downtown San Francisco. I went and interviewed in a high-rise with folks in suits and ties and presented very well. I was offered a position, but turned it down because I couldn't commit the time needed without jeopardizing my time spent study. What a great practice secession and learning experience.


I make it a habit of asking a lot of questions of many people, especially people who I informally determine may be succeeding in the world of work. I'm trying to learn and penetrate into a world I'm not versed in. My yoga habit is predominately about the fitness and health created. A close second would be the folks one meets, beautiful women included, but think about this statement. Losers do not have the motivation to practice yoga. What this means is that the people who attend are generally successful people, and some very very successful. During short conversations, before or after class, I've had a couple of enlightening conversations with fellow yoga folk. One girl inspired me greatly with a quick story about how she attained an art history degree, and somehow ended up making six figures selling software. She is not abnormal. This type of situation can be created with proper networking and social skills.


A few weeks back, I got to chit chatting with a guy who I bump in to at least a couple days a week. His name is David Gottesman, and he has successfully started three or four IT companies. He is a tech guy who looks like Mr. Clean. I told him my program, that I was looking for an internship to gain some exposure in different fields. He graciously agreed to meet up with me at a Starbucks, showed me what he is involved in and has agreed to take me on. Stoked. This is an informal situation, where over a period of time I start to learn about his world while not losing focus on my studies, and more importantly, hopefully, I can contribute to his enterprise.


Dave started a company called Ashburymusichall.com. When he showed me what was up, I was pretty impressed with the company. The user interface is built for music teachers to interact and teach students. But, it could be tweaked for many other situations where people need to interact and collaborate. Pretty cool stuff. With a little luck and some motivation on my part, hopefully I can maybe get involved with this company. Check out the video below, and don't forget to spend some time on Ashburymusichall.com. Take a music lesson why don't you!








Blast From The Past



That is Seaman Allaire flexing after leading the barby plucking detail from the hanger roof in 1989, aboard USCGC Polar Sea, somewhere in the south pacific.  Enjoy!

Capt Chris


PS: Please don't forget to subscribe to my blog. You can do that by clicking the subscribe link on the right.

No comments: