Saturday, March 14, 2009

I'm Fundamentally A Homebody


Sounds very strange given the fact that I'm moving amongst the Caribbean islands. But given that home is where the boat is, the status of homebody is easily obtained. I know I know, all these wonderful islands and cultures to investigate and draw a more rounded view of the world from. But what can I say, I love puttering about Christa for days on end with only a small itch to get ashore. Habits are so easily formed and I suppose I don't have significant needs, but the needs I do have are pretty strong.

Take my nearly two weeks in St Maarten. I didn't budge outside of the area known as Simpson Bay. When I first arrived I had every intention of doing some exploring. But on the first night sitting in the cockpit I was watching an incredible stretch of car lights that snaked through the hills towards Phillipsburg. I thought back to the bus service on St John USVI and begun to worry that I could be stuck for a substantial amount of time on my way to.....well I don't know where. Part of the cruising experience? You Bet. But by then I had my aforementioned strong needs readily taken care of right in Simpson Bay. So I fell right inline with my well worn habits of a great breakfast joint, wifi, bookstore and of course the infamous beaches. So really my exploring as of late has been linked to my running regime. These sojorns normally lead to some type of adventure.

I ended up generally doing the same in Antigua. I didn't budge outside of Jolly Harbor. I hide behind the fact I was only their for 4 or 5 days. So now that I am in Dominica I'm now on day 3 and have been off the boat only twice, once to visit Customs and once to stretch my legs down the main drag. So I'm now self consious of this and am going to make more effort to interact and get out and about. What can I say. It is not like I'm sitting in a room watching TV. The anchorage and the surrounding beauty is like Reality TV. So much going on and so much to soak up. I'm now saturated and plan on getting some serious hiking in this week. More Later.


Capt Chris

PS: Please check out My Photo Album and Youtube Videos

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you do get off the boat because you'll have fun.
I can't wait to get myself there, you are really blessed being able to do what you do.
I'm in the UK and want to be in Dominica in 2010.
I shall enjoy reading your blog and looking at those gorgeous photos you are taking.
Diane

P.S. If you want to make a few friends and let them know where you are you can also join us at http://www.dominican-diaspora.com

Maybe that might entice you off the boat!

Unknown said...

Thanks Diane! I have finally did some touring. An amazing place. The people are friendly as anywhere on earth. Thnaks for checking in.