Sunday, March 15, 2009

How Do I Steer Christa at Sea?




I have two methods for steering other than my deft hand. One is the Monitor Wind Vane and the other is a Tillerpilot. The Tillerpilot is used exclusively for motoring and only light wind sailing. My Monitor, named "Big Daddy" is an amazing invention and the evolution of the gizmo is a truly interesting story in its own right. You can read all about it on Scanmars website. I have heard stories over and over of how sailors become emotionally attached to their windvane's. I'm no different, I love my appendage. So with that I have prepared a video so you can see what is going on. Like I said, some of the plesure of self steering is it does take some skill and finesse to get the boat balanced and giggered properly so Big Daddy can function properly. For lazy sailors who don't necessarily want to trim sails properly or work for the correct sail combination will be forced to work the boat. This describes me up until recently. But now that I'm starting to "get it" my sailing experience is much enhanced. I have always been one to get a new gizmo, rip open the box, swiftly toss the instruction manual aside and get to it. This is always always a mistake. After initial frustration with BD, I revisted the comprehensive manual provided and sure enough every short coming I experienced has been swiftly delt with in the instruction manual. Note to self: Read the instructions.

Capt Chris
Anchored in Dominica

2 comments:

westsailor28 said...

chris, Have you had a chance to look into Kettlebell workouts and the whole kettlebell philosophy?

Anonymous said...

Yep, you must read the instructions, I too have found this to be the best way after some aggravating experiences with putting together your Christmas presents.

Dad