Monday, October 3, 2011

On Becoming a Yoga Instructor

Glen Ellen, CA


I took my first yoga class about three year ago. In June of 2010, after arriving in San Francisco Bay Area, after the big sailing trip, I began to attend class five to six days a week. I've kept said pace, doing both Bikram and Power Vinysa.

Creative Commons



I crossed some kind of line when I realized that I was scheduling my life, my college classes, my living arrangements all around the studio yoga schedule. Like most, I've tended to get swept into some things that are a flash in the pan type thing. Time filters these temporary distractions, but are an important part of the learning and growing process. Yoga is not like that for me. This will likely be a life-long activity.

Red Dragon Yoga Studio Fall 2010

 There is a very solid reason, a nearly 3000 year old reason that yoga is picked up such popular steam in the western world in the last decade. Just like Steve Jobs asserts that Apple products "just work," and so it is with yoga. It flushes out the body and the mind in substantial way. The same kind of results can occur through cross-fit or spinning classes no doubt. However, yoga seems to be life golf in that you can swing your entire life, and there always is room for improvement. The body is different each day, and thus a yoga secession will be different each day. The suttle difference will only be known to the student.


I've decided to become a yoga instructor. I leave next Friday for Austin Texas to attend Baron Baptiste Power Yoga Level One training. It lasts a week, and is the first step, albeit an expensive step toward becoming a yoga instructor. The studio I go to has been a wonderful wonderful place, and has agreed to teach and train me when I return. Hopefully I can start subbing classes, and then step into a consistent thing.


I'm totally excited!

Jazzed, Happy and Exhausted after a 90 minute class.


Full report when I return!

CC

PS: Oh yeah, and there is the women factor. Talk about motivation.

No comments: