Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Metallica James Hetfield and Absent Fathers

Glen Ellen, California


 You may have noticed a bump in the number of blog posts I've been logging. The fact is I'm on a three week break from school, seriously freeing up my time. However, more importantly for some reason I seem to be in some kind of creative groove and simply have a lot to say. Part of my productivity has to do with living in my house, and having a quite environment with my iMac, desk and all the things I need. Virginia Wolf wrote an essay covering this very topic called A Room of One's Own. In turn I wrote an essay on her essay. You can read my essay by clicking here. Onward.

James Hetfield compliments of Google Images
James and the Family

I have been a gigantic Metallica fan since 1984 when their second album Ride the Lightening was released during my 10th grade year in high school. I remember my buddy Jeff Britton and I saw Metallica play at the Spectrum in Philly in 1986 when they were on their Master of Puppets tour. It was so loud, heavy and just plain crazy. I loved it!


In 1997 while the XO of U.S. Coast Guard Station Lake Tahoe, one of my seaman and fellow Metallica enthusiast were doing something close to nothing when we noticed a pretty blond chick backing a phat cigarette type boat down the launch ramp. Then out pops this heavily tattooed fellow, kisses the girl, jumps in the boat and takes off. You see James Hetfield ownes a house on the west shore. Well Willy and I were just beside ourselves. The rest of my tour at Lake Tahoe I was always on the look out for James while on patrol. Sadly, I would have used my Federal authority to stop him just so I could meet him. 

Fast forward to present day. Allaire is still a huge Metallica fan, but even more so my admiration and respect for James Hetfield is hitting an all time high. Metallica HQ is the bands recording studio and all around base of operations. It is located in a warehouse in San Rafael CA, in an obscure industrial section of town. Recall San Rafael is where I keep Christa and go to school at Dominican University of California. This past April I was walking along the docks of Christa's marina, which sits adjacent a strip mall when James Hetfield jumps out of a black BMW. His gait and neck tattoos so distinct. He's tough to miss. Then that same pretty blond from 1997 exited the passenger side with 3 blond kids exited with great fanfare. He was taking his kids to Karate class. They all kind of milled around the outside door, James hugging his kids and giving them encouragement while his wife fielded a cell call. I admit I was star stuck again! I nearly yelled out his name and starting running toward him. However, I didn't move. I then locked eyes with the man briefly, he recognizing that I recognized him. I smiled and nodded my head and he did the same. I am so happy that I exercised some self-discipline and didn't interrupt his family time like some chump. This gratitude became even more sharp this morning when I learned about the documentary film called ABSENT.


I've not seen the documentary yet. But, the movie chronicles the incredible wound that absentee fathers are leaving on this world. James Hetfield is a prominent feature in this movie as he describes the personal destruction that occurred when his father walked out the door leaving a note, not even for him when he was 13 years old. This is why I was so stoked that I did not do a rookie knucklehead move and interrupt his family time. I witnessed a mega rock star, incredible song writer, yet regular guy engaged in his top priority. That is what that quick nod from his was all about. A quick signal of thank you. Here is the trailer and an interview he did on Fox & Friends.









I have such great respect for my buddy John who I witnessed make very difficult choices creating serious personal turmoil for himself, all to position himself to father his daughter. The result is a gem of a young women. I also recognize how lucky I am to still have a very engaged father in my own life, even as he is engaged in his fathers life while my grandfathers heads into his late 80's. My niece also has a very engaged father and her love for him is strong. A critical component in her continued success in navigating the tumult of the teenage years. 


I think now at 44 years old, I'm ready to become a father. Weird huh? Any takers?


Capt Chris




No comments: