Thursday, August 18, 2011

Gardening So Appealing

Glen Ellen, California


 My little house here in the Valley of the Moon in the Sonoma wine country is a small plot of land no doubt. But, I do have space to grow organic veggies and what not. I have been really surprised at how I've been sweeped up into gardening. I've positively gotten in touch with my inner farmer. I've never grown anything in my life. When I moved into the house in June I planted a sunflower seed. You can see the results in the picture below. When that little plant popped its head from the soil in a week, sadly perhaps, it was one of the most satisfying things I've ever done! It was truly gratifying.

My First Flower
Since, I've planted tomatoes, strawberries, cantaloupe, and melon. Just recently I built two raised garden beds, both 2 feet by 8 feet. I've now planted an assortment of lettuce and kale. Within the week I've sow some carrots and celery. These are all my fall garden plantings. You see, I'm already conversant with terms such as "fall garden plantings." Living in the wine country it should be obvious that its prime growing territory. With my PVC hoop design I should be able to grow year round. Man, am I into it!


What's really wild about this new interest of mine is that many many retired sailors move inland and become farmers or ranchers. Just take Robin Lee Graham, who in the 1960's was the youngest circumnavigator at 16 years old. He moved to Montana with his wife and lived off the land. The whale industry in New England is another example. Most sea captains owned working farms. Also, my friends from SV Someday Came, the Tillman's, post circumnavigation bought and now operate a Lavender farm in Virginia. For some crazy reason there are strong commonalities.


With all my veggies I will defiantly be slurping on a lot of green smoothies.


Capt Chris

No comments: