Monday, November 29, 2010

Aristotle's Ethics Applied

Dominican University of California
San Rafael California

Thanksgiving 2010 in San Mateo California


An area of substantial interest for me has been Aristotle. He was a very smart guy. At the beginning of the semester I was stressed about the amount of work on had ahead of me. Go figure. I postured in such a way that I could research a topic (Aristotle's conception of happiness) and use the research in two separate classes. Well it worked. Below is a paper I wrote about Aristotle's ethics and how it applies to my personal life. Surely not a sailing topic, but Aristotle had a great impact on how I viewed cruising on a sailboat. Life will be joyless without friends and/or family regardless of any other circumstance. Maybe this is why I'm more content not sailing and why I enjoyed Thanksgiving so much. Read onward please!

Aristotle's Ethics


Mark & Stacie

Capt Chris....in a chilly California

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,
Thanks for sharing. Very well written. I believe many will find it useful in redirecting their own journeys. It really hit home for me as I too tried to retire in paradise without having the right goals in mind. I have since gotten back on the right path, and I am happy to see that you have as well.
Allen

Unknown said...

Allen,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I really appreciate it! Next time I decide to sail I'll have a much better handle on chances of success. However I will never forget the deep axiom that says paradise is full of bugs!

Chris

Anonymous said...

Just read your paper, and am so impressed. You made a difficult subject very interesting and insightful. Keep up the good work, you're making the gene pool proud. See you soon.
Love,
Mom