Friday, October 29, 2010

Tropical Storm Tomas...Approaching the Caribbean

San Rafael California

For long time blog followers, my sometimes irrational obsession with weather is well established. Don't think for a second, now that I've turned in my Sou'wester and trusty compass, for tweed jackets and Guzman Lecture Hall, that I don't get up in the morning and do a quick round of weather analysis. Old habits ya know. A couple of days ago a "yellow blob of doom" otherwise known as an area of disturbed weather had formed near the equator in the Atlantic way east of Trinidad. Much to my surprise during this mornings round up, the yellow had turned to a "red blob from hell" otherwise known as a tropical depression forming. Blam! Tropical Storm Tomas formed very rapidly and is a huge storm. Never has a tropical low formed this far south or east this late in the h-season. Tropical storm warnings are now up for Trinidad, Grenada and all of the Windward Islands. The center should track over St Vincent and the Grenadines. I took the picture below in Salt Whistle Bay, on the island of Myreau, in the Grenadines when I visited aboard Christa. Glad I'm not there now! They should see close to hurricane force conditions. Generally sailors this far south feel comfortable as almost all storms track much further north. I'm sure people are concerned.


I pulled this really excellent youtube forecast clip for all the other weather obsessed.


 


From Christa Mast Top. Salt Whistle Bay Myreau St Vincent and the Grenadines May 2009



I worry for my second family aboard Wandering Dolphin and Kristopher is in Wyoming attending his fathers funeral, while the rest of the gang, minus Jimmy is in St Thomas. Also, Tom and Amy and Sadie Sea are in St. John. So Tomas is forecast to spin up into a major hurricane by middle of next week when the forecast track becomes uncertain. 


Capt Chris
P.S. Two posts in one day. Who would of thunk it?

No comments: