Thursday, May 6, 2010

What to Do as a Second Career? By Christian Allaire

Moored Naples Florida, Living Aboard Christa



I know this may be sprinting much further ahead than is necessary or prudent. But, with college looming in August I will need to start making some decisions in terms of course work.

Freedom of choice is a good thing, but only when you've cultivated the ability to make sound decisions, then plow ahead toward the goal without looking in the rear view mirror. I mitigate the second guessing down the line by being through in the initial decision making process. This way if things go south with my choice, I find much comfort knowing I wasn't irresponsible, but was due to unforeseeable events. I think this is why most people who win the lottery become miserable, because of the overwhelming amount of choice that suddenly appears. Without an incremental immersion into the world of choice, people just leap from one thing to next spurring disillusionment.

By virtue of my retirement from the Coast Guard, the chains were lifted and a world of choice was opened up. Wow, I could live anywhere I wanted. I could do so many different things, but I decided to pursue a goal hatched many years before. That sailing goal hasn't gone the way I intended, but I have no regrets because it wasn't an arbitrary undertaking. Plus for me, it was pretty epic.

Now I am faced with another very big choice. And that is what to pursue as a second career. Even though I have 4 years worth of college benefits to use, I still need to focus on the employment post school aspect. I could chop those 4 years of bennies into different segments, or be a student for the next 4 years, but I still need to enter the real world again at some point.

I have a strong desire to become a teacher. I am at a bit of a loss as to why. It really has not been on my radar for all that long. It's not as if it's something I've always wanted to do. I think it stems from the realization that I really love to learn. I was a terrifically terrible high school student. I just had no clue and was not interested in learning at all. I paid the price. Over the course of my service time, I chipped away at my Bachelors in a somewhat hodgepodge fashion.  I had developed a confidence problem that I smashed with great success with my first class I took at San Francisco State University in 1999. It was a Macro Economics class that I was very nervous about and didn't think I had the smarts for. Well, it immediately became apparent that if I followed my good military training of paying attention to detail and diligent effort, I would do just fine. And I did. I got an A. I even remember the Professor's name was Bishu Chatterjee. Good ole Bishu.

As with all people who make the military a career, I've had to put together my share of training plans and then deliver them. Just like.....well a teacher.  I enjoyed overcoming the anxiety of public speaking and enjoyed watching others who were top notch trainers and mentors. This more than anything got me to thinking about the profession.

I have some reservations, but only because of the horror stories one reads about. Still that is not an excuse to not gather more info or get some first hand knowledge. My Bachelors will be a straight Liberal Arts curriculum with an emphasis in philosophy. But, the exact nature of that may change when I meet with the academic advisor. I can graduate with a teaching credential so some different courses will need to be taken to achieve the credential. If I choose not to become a teacher then the work I do and the money spent toward the teaching credential may have been better used elsewhere. This is what I mean by some soul searching and decision making.

I can't really think of another field to enter. Staying within the maritime community really doesn't turn me on. But opening a small business surely holds some appeal for me. My buddy John Gamble and I have always wanted to open a business together. He is an idea machine. I love that Tom and Amy from Sandpiper bought a small business and now live with the joy and stresses of owning their business.

Who knows, but these are some of the things that I have been thinking about during my lazy days here in Naples.

Care to comment? Would love to hear from all hands. As I mentioned before, due to spam I have to push the little button to post comments. So you don't get the immediate gratification of seeing your comment.

Capt Chris

PS: On a very different topic. Read the following article called In a Charmed Life. A Road Less Traveled. It will blow your hair back.

8 comments:

Mark Dietrich said...

You would make one hell of an awesome teacher, Senior Chief - or as the kids would say today, "hella cool". You have the personality to connect and make an impact. Go for it! v/r - MarkD (Ret)

Unknown said...

Hey XO! Really appreciate the encouragement! Looking forward to relocating back out to the Bay Area. Thanks again MarkD (ret)
Chris(Ret)

Morduin (Gaelic for warrior) said...

Capt Chris...I love your take on this. You have a goal but realize "Life Happens". Continue chipping away at that goal and it will become your reality before you know it. I too believe you would make a great teacher. I have been teaching in some aspect or another since I was 15. My military career really helped with my organizational skills as I am sure yours did for you. Keep the faith and drive on.

Chuck

Unknown said...

Thanks Chuck. Roger That. Keep the faith and drive on

Anonymous said...

You may or may not enjoy teaching. From reading your blog it seems as if you already know you really like web design, etc. Have you explored a degree in graphic or web design? This kind of work can be done from anywhere in the world. Not trying to dissuade you from teaching, but just offering up some additional ideas. It's the least I can do for all the info you've given me about cruising the Caribbean. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Chris -- A teaching degree would be excellent. If your blog is your resume, anyone would want you as both a teacher and mentor.
Recommend you look at the "Troops to Teachers" (California, and other states) site. Regards -- Gordo

Weezie said...

Christian, I think you would make an excellent teacher. YOu have the kind of energetic personality capable of inspiring teens and kids who may need a mentor. Some of my fondest memories of being a teen was having great teachers that inspired me and made me want to learn and grow. You have the power to be that kind of teacher. School can be daunting but you just need to plow ahead. This I know from being in a gruelling MBA program but keep you heading snd your goals constantly in sight. It will pay off.
All the best
-One lung

JD said...

Christian, I emailed before about teaching and was catching up on the blog. As a former teacher, I encourage you to give it a shot and take every opportunity to get into classrooms during your undergraduate work. While I wasn't a military person, the Troops To Teachers program might be something to look into, as another comment said. I was in that program 15 years ago through SF State, might still be there. I just attended a retirement party for several colleagues and it re-kindled my appreciation for the teachers who are the real troops on the ground in education. Good luck with the trip, thought I saw SV Christa today in Sacramento but upon reading the blog, I was mistaken.

JD