Monday, March 22, 2010

A Little Touchey Feeley....I Get It

Naples Florida
Weather is rain, temp in the 70's

Yoga is not mainstream. For people who have never been exposed to the practice or know little about, generally consider the yoga crowd kind of a fringe group. I can't really argue with that. Some of the die hard yoga people speak a different language and can be quick to deploy the Taro Cards. I can easily tolerate that type of thing and sometimes am amused by it. I don't know everything and if someone wants to operate from that set of principles, so be it. To stereotype most yoga people into a certain political persuasion would be accurate. That is why people call it a stereotype, due to the grains of truth. But not all.



I was swept into the world of yoga about two years ago, but have not been practicing consistently due to my sailing adventure. Since arriving in Naples I have been attending 2 or 3 times per week at great expense, but with great results. I admit, I'm hooked.

I have been working out and exercising religiously since late 2004, mostly in the cardio realm. I hate lifting weights, just not my thing to go to a gym and grunt up a set of dumb bells. But resistance training is really important and that is where yoga comes in. Ask anyone what they think after their first yoga class and most will gasp at the difficulty. It is funny to watch a big muscle bound type dude being out strengthed by some 5 foot nothing girl. All exercise is cumulative in nature, but in yoga it is especially true. It takes much more than strength; It takes a steely concentration and when your likely one of the only men in a studio full of women in yoga pants, you need to call up reserves of concentration and focus.  All joking aside, I am simply astounded at the amount of effort it takes and the buckets of sweat that pours out of me when trying to hold a pose. I always associated vigorous movement with exertion, but have since learned you can exert more when trying to hold still. Weird. 


The only rub with all this is the money angle. You can find cheap yoga in most places, but not in Naples. I have been paying $160 for 10 sessions, just a little less than $20 a class. And at 3 times a week, it quickly becomes unaffordable for many. It is a financial burden for me, but the benefits for me outweigh the expense. I try and convince myself that the best health care policy in the world in diet an exercise. Each day I feel very healthy with tons of energy. Plus I don't mind hanging out with all the women in yoga cloths.


Capt Chris

PS: I snapped the above picture the other day after leaving class. Two yoga instructors at the office working out next weeks schedule.

PSS: I have some news on the trucking of Christa. I'll update on that major project soon.

No comments: