Monday, February 15, 2010

Rigors of the Job

Moored Naples Florida. Doing?
Moving to California in May. Why? Click Here
For a more complete history of me and sailing click here.

As some may know I took a job as an Expeditor at a restaurant here in Naples. It has given me a whole new view into life in America after 20 years in the Coast Guard community. Once I'm done my tour of duty at Ridgeway Bar & Grill, I'll give a more thorough review of my experience. It is a low level job in the grand scheme, but one should never adopt the view that they are "above" a certain occupation. Having a job is a blessing. Having the opportunity to aspire higher is even more of a blessing.


An Expo is the coordinator of the galley. In my case, there are two of us and even then at times two Expo's become overwhelmed. On the busiest of nights the restaurant has 13 chef's working behind the line and 300 to 500 meals are pumped out between 5 and 9pm. Ensuring the meals come out timely and with a crisp quality is the Expo's bread and butter. Speaking of bread and butter. One thing I do many times per night is take a hot tray of bread and discharge it into the bread warmer. I've burned myself twice doing this. You can see above the latest scorch job. When the latest burn happened I didn't even know it, but when I looked at my arm a few minutes later, we had bubbleage! Medic! Medic! No one paid attention, so I went and got some ice and dove back into the  Expo mayhem. 


Capt Chris


PS: Happy Presidents Day! And I'm driving across the country in late May through early June time frame. You can read about that in a blog entry by clicking here.  I wanted to thank everyone who have extended an invitation for me to "camp" out on there couches. It really really is appreciated and I'm excited to meet blog readers! So thank you and see you soon!

No comments: