Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Could Have A Weather Window on the Horizon


Capt Chris, winds NE 24 KTS GUSTING HIGHER
02/11/2009, Honeymoon Beach Water Island St Thomas USVI

I'm watching the weather closely as a major pattern change envelops the Caribbean basin. This week the trades are cranking driving ENE winds at 25 knots and 13 foot ENE swell are being generated. I'm happy to be safely anchored here in Honey Moon Bay. But toward the weekend the trades are going to start easing and the wind may come around to the north north east to 10 knots throughout the entire Caribbean. It is amazing to watch the GRIB FILES display the predicted changing conditions as the computer models chew on the latest runs. I am excited.

So at this early juncture I tenatively will be leaving the Virgin Islands on Sunday with a forecast of northeast wind 8 to 13 knots. The plan is to put Christa on a comfortable sailing course with the wind about 60 degrees off the port bow and sail toward the southern Caribbean. Where I make landfall will depend on the weather conditions I experience. Generally I think I may make landfall somewhere near Dominica in 3 days. But if I run into any dead calms, which is possible, i could simply motor east toward the closest island. In any event I really am looking forward to doing some open ocean passagemaking. I'll blog as the weather conditions become clearer so I can make a good choice in terms of departure time and date.

Later,

Capt Chris

No comments: