Monday, September 1, 2008


My trip to PR

Sorry everyone for not writing any sooner. Ever since coming back from Puerto Rico I have been busy. I have been working working, preparing for my dive certification, and preparing for my next three month adventure on American Cruise Line. I will be moving up to Bangor, ME and traveling down the inner coastal waterway of the East Coast.

Thank goodness I took off a week to visit my sailor man Chris in Salinas, Puerto Rico. My arrival to Puerto Rico last Tuesday was not all pleasant. Due to Fay there was a lot of turbulence on my flight. You could imagine once I made it to land how pleased I was. Even better when I saw Chris. Chris took me to an amazing hang out called Pinky's. Pinky's menu was simple and healthy. I had a turkey wrap with mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. Chris had a bagel with cream cheese and lox. After our luncheon we headed back to Salinas. Being back in Salinas brought back some memories from my last visit in March of 08.

After settling in with Chris and S/V Christa, I felted relaxed. We headed to the Cruisers Galley and I met an amazing family from Wondering Dolphin. "Mrs. Sandra" from Wondering Dolphin had prepared an amazing dinner at the Cruisers Galley for her customers. On Tuesday night she prepares meat loaf, on Thursday she has movie night with pasta, and on Sunday she puts out a spectacular brunch of fresh fruits and Eggs Benedict with a side of potato hash. Believe it or not, but this was my first Eggs Benedict. I love to cook so I now it's all about the Hollendase sauce. Now I see why this is one of Chris's favorite dishes. Thank you "Mrs. Sandra" and your side kick husband for an amazing time at the Cruisers Galley.

My trip did not just consist of food of course, even though I don't mind. Chris and I did have a chance to sight see a little around Puerto Rico. We got to visit Coamo, Ponce, Patillas, San Juan, and Old San Juan. We spent a day in Coamo visiting a hot springs pool believed to be the fountain of youth. This particular spring was discovered by Ponce de Leon. I could say that Chris and I looked 10 years younger after dipping into the steaming hot springs. Boy am I lucky! :-) Even though the hot springs were not well kept, the place still had charm with a rustic feel to it. There were lush green mountains and an abundance of one of my favorite colorful plants the bougainvillea.

After our trip to Coamo, we took out another adventure to Patillas to check out the beach and Chris's next possible anchorage. On our way to Patillas we stop at a local restaurant called "Tranquil". The restaurants ambiance was awesome. Its patio faces the big blue waters of the ocean. While waiting for our food we decided to relax under two huge trees in a hammock. There was a nice breeze and Latin beats playing in the background. We would of loved to stay longer at the restaurant but we had a city to discover.

On another sunny day we headed over to Ponce. Downtown Ponce was a mission to find. We ended up asking at least two people for direction before we stroke gold. Downtown Ponce reminded us of Old San Juan. Ponce is the second largest city to San Juan. Also, the first Fire Station for Puerto Rico was establish in Ponce. You want to experience full history Ponce is the place to go. The City is not overwhelmed with tourist so you will have more of a better chance to socialize with the locals.

My last day in Puerto Rico was spent in San Juan. Chris and I visited the two famous Forts, El Morro (covers 200 acres) and San Cristobal(covers 27 acres). To our surprise, admission to both Forts was only $5.00. What a deal to visit a little piece of history. The Forts admission welcomes you back within the week again (up to 7 days). I suggest for those who pass through this area pack a picnic and enjoy the surroundings. Old San Juan is filled with a variety of restaurants and shops. Once again we would of loved to walk around the city more, but we were drenched by the heavy rain and we were hungry. We headed back to the hotel to change to warm cloths so that we could have a nice dinner. It was a nice dinner for Chris since he was desiring to have some sushi. I on the other hand had curry chicken. Not such a great idea to eat chicken in a Chinese restaurant. The next day my stomach was turning and you could imagine the rest. It took me two days to recover after I left Puerto Rico.

Even though my last day in Puerto Rico was not all pleasant, I was glad to have visited Chris in Salinas, Puerto Rico. I got to get to know him a little more. Over all we laughed at each others silliness and just relaxed. Hopefully if all goes well, I will join Chris on his next journey this winter.

Talk to you all soon

Janina

No comments: