Saturday, January 11, 2014

Book Recommendation: The Way of the SEAL

Summerfield, Florida

I'm really blown away by the book titled The Way of the Seal: Think Like an Elite Warrior to Lead and Succeed by Mark Divne.



The author is a retired U.S. Navy SEAL with a unique background that caught my attention. I am a yoga instructor and am always struck by the number of successful people who I bump into at the yoga studio. The clientele does not square with the stereo typical hippie yoga person.

In Marks book, in the acknowledgement section he mentions right away two huge influences in his life. One is his martial arts mentor and in the second paragraph is his yoga teacher Tim Miller. I'm pretty stoked to see such an elite operator and successful person acknowledge the power of the yoga practice. As I always say to newer students, yoga is not really an exercise class. Physical fitness is surely an ancillary benefit, however the practice is more a mental fitness program. And Navy SEALS are the toughest of them all.

Like all successful people, he builds on the shoulders of giants as the saying goes. The book does rehash or repackage well established philosophies, but from the perspective of a SEAL and then helps the reader apply crucial habits such as "Front Sight Focus" to their everyday lives. Rehashing or repackaging of ideas is a strength. I love to read self-help and leadership type books. Over the years I easily see the commonalities handed down through the centuries which help me establish or re-establish lost habits.

I believe this book to be special. In fact I believe what this Mark Divine is creating via SEALFIT and the Unbeatable Mind Academy is so very yogic and inspiring. 

Check out the below video on mental toughness which is a theme throughout the book.




Kindly,

Christian Allaire


No comments: