Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pearl Jam 20


Glen Ellen, California


I downloaded and watched Pearl Jam 20, the documentary by Cameron Crowe about the bands first 20 years. Apple TV rocks! I wrote a blog post regarding my time living in Seattle during the grunge explosion. Please read that post by clicking here. It did not disappoint in the least. PJ fans obviously will love the film.  I love a good story, especially captured in a documentary. This is in keeping with my latest theme of odd ducks. My respect for people who may do things a little different. Pearl Jam clearly followed the road less traveled, and still does. The first thing that popped into my head as the credits rolled is this is a band with a lot of heart. Not the fake kind, but true believers in their craft. Kind of in the vain of what I wrote in my last post about Sterling Hayden. Neither Sterling nor Pearl Jam were/are conformists. Not that I advocate

PJ20 Promo Shot. Pearl Jam: Matt Cameron, Eddie Vedder, Jeff Ament, Mike McCready, Stone Gossard
necessarily how any of the people I write about live, but having a massive population consistently going along with societal flow breeds a boring society. One that is just not exceptional in any way shape or form. People who are in a constant state of protest over every conceivable injustice is fatiguing. But, they are the ones to agitate pushing back against those (me included) who like consistency. 



Many long term cruisers end up feeling like the odd duck. Each new harbor a sailor sets his anchor in is quickly reminded that they arrived to this new land in an odd way. Odd in the sense of contemporary society. Before the Wright Brothers, arriving by ship was the norm, and then those non conformists, Wilbur and Orville Wright had to go and shake up the world. 


Capt Chris


PS: Little admin item here. I've started to use page breaks so each post does not take up the entire website. The read more button is at the bottom of the post on the left. It is small and difficult to see. I'm working on correcting that.


Also, please comment and subscribe to my blog! Appreciate you guys!

No comments: