Tuesday, September 6, 2011

TEDS Videos and Some Musings

Glen Ellen, California


The video below is really amazing. It is short, and I encourage you to watch. I've some thoughts on the topic. But first a quick word on TEDS Video. Here is the websites motto

"Riveting talks by remarkable people, free to the world"

My snazzy Apple TV tracks podcasts for me that I subscribe to, TEDS videos being one of my subscriptions. Nearly each day a video is posted. Short in nature, and each fascinating. I'm hooked!



He is the description of the actual talk from the TEDS website.




Psychologist Philip Zimbardo asks, "Why are boys struggling?" He shares some stats (lower graduation rates, greater worries about intimacy and relationships) and suggests a few reasons -- and he asks for your help! Watch his talk, then take his short 10-question survey: http://on.ted.com/PZSurvey

There is no doubt that women/girls have been treated unfairly and with disdain in many cultures throughout history. I wrote a paper about a year ago entitled "Women and Work" regarding my experience with women in the military. You can read that paper by clicking here. During the research it started to become apparent that parity has been achieved among the sexes. Please keep in mind that absolute equality is impossible. 


I'm now starting to believe, supported by evidence that women are in the infancy of ruling the world. Men/boys seem to be regressing at an alarming rate. My university is an easy study of the phenomenon. Fully 3/4 of the population is female. This in my view, radically changes the tone of the university, likely for the better, but I'm not sure. There is nothing wrong with restrained, responsible masculinity. Most women desire such a thing. 


As a man navigating in such an environment, I can say it really is an experience. Especially considering the bulk of the students could be my children. However, I am not a faculty member, and therefore collaborate on a student to student basis. 


One other recent "women ruling the roost" experience was my internship at the Mill Valley Library in Mill Valley California. It is a women's world in said library. I participated in collaborations organizing rather complicated events that the library sponsors. To say that there is a ton of chattering during meetings in an understatement. While my gut reaction is what a waste of time all this chattering is, the overall productivity of the group was significant. I am a humanities and cultural studies senior now, and these are the types of topics I spend a lot of time thinking about. So, please view the video and reflect on what the good doctor has to say. What is going on with males?

 

Capt C

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, too deep to go into in
this comment section, but very
enlightening.

Dad