Friday, July 2, 2010

Learning For Learnings Sake. An Outdated Concept?

San Rafael Yacht Harbor, Marin County California

Raphael's School of Athens
After writing my blog post entitled "What to Do for a Second Career", I got to thinking hard about the topic. I was further spurred along after Mike, formerly of sailing vessel Two Lazy Dogs sent me a long and thoughtful email about the topic.

Am I career minded? I do not necessarily want to proceed through my coming college education with an end state in mind. To attend for the sole purpose of being hired at company X Y or Z has been described as "commidification of a degree." An end state goal may even sabotage my college experience by distracting me from areas of interest that are not qualifications based. If my end state was to earn decent sums of money, I wouldn't need to go to college. I'm confident enough that I could make it happen with my current resume and stock pile of wisdom and life experience. But I do think that learning for learning's sake is out of reach for most.

I absolutely don't look down on anyone who strives to make serious bank. Bank is good. In fact I'd love make some bank myself, but the method for me is critical. The method of earning for me trumps all.

To an extent learning for learning's sake is an outdated concept as it applies to attending an institution of Higher Learning. To attend school is so expensive and only the wealthy can afford to attend just for the satisfaction one gets by learning. Us mortals likely will have to take some of this knowledge and apply it to earning a living. Which means some sort of career focus courses are required. The practicality of the situation demands schools loans to be paid and housing costs met ect.

The shame of this is that to live a richer and fuller life requires knowledge and passion for things that don't necessarily translate directly into dollars. A bicycle enthusiast can enjoy a day long bike ride through surrounding hills and really enjoy it. But someone who has knowledge of geography can marvel at the lay of the land and someone who has taken a cellular biology class will enjoy the burn of the ride that much more having knowledge of ATP transport. The addition of information creates a level of enjoyment not realized by the uneducated. This example applies across the gamet of living a life.

This all sounds pretty highfalutin. And it is. But what's wrong with a little highfalutin? I wonder at 43 does my college purpose differ from someone just entering from High School? In practical terms it does (make a difference) simply due to the difference in financial condition. But in terms of gaining knowledge to live a healthy and flourishing life it should not. But everyone is different. When I graduated from High School I had zero context and the notion that knowledge of art could lead to happiness was as foreign and upsetting as a Boy George concert. While for others it was less foreign, just enough to give a good teacher an opening to let them see the light early on.

I am very grateful that I have seen the light, even if a bit late. Maybe everyone starts to do some deeper thinking when they hit their 40's. My situation allows me an assist from a university environment and hopefully I can find the mean between fulfilling a need for specialized training for future employment and my desire to acquire knowledge for knowledge sake.

Capt Chris

No comments: