Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Levi Leipheimer's King Ridge GranFondo

Moored Naples Florida. Doing?
Moving to California in May. Why? Click Here
For a more complete history of me and sailing click here.

I love to run. But, I'm aware that after years of pounding the pavement, the toll on the body can outweigh the cardio benefit. Many runners morph into cyclists and garner the cardio workout benefit while mitigating the strain on the joints. Or so the experts say. I am no different. But I have always loved to ride a bike.

It is keeping with my genetic penchant to roam. As far back as I can remember, I would set a course for the woods with streams and ponds. Traverse across golf courses and pastures. Trespass with my buddy Brad to "The Illegal"  with Ugly Stick in hand and a new Repalla Water Dog lure and slay Rainbow and Brook trout and then high tail it in retreat as the hunt club caretakers gave chase. As each year passes I continue the same roaming routine, but the vehicle or maybe the surroundings change. Surely I don't fish illegally anymore.


 
So it was with great excitement that my Uncle Mike got in touch with me to invite me to ride with him in the King Ridge GranFondo. Here is an explanation.

"The Gran Fondo is a celebrated tradition in Italian cycling culture. A Gran Fondo is a long distance, mass-participation cycling event – not a race – that welcomes professional, amateur, and recreational cyclists of all abilities . While not strictly  competitive, these rides are timed to ensure cyclists complete the entire course and provide some scoring for quick completion of unique sections of the route."

Levi Leipheimer's King Ridge GranFondo from Bike Monkey LLC on Vimeo.

The course starts in Santa Rosa California, north of San Francisco and only 10 miles from where my little cottage is in Glen Ellen California. I will ride for 65 miles through some of the most beautiful countryside and ocean side real estate our great country has to offer. An opportunity like this is surely one of the reasons I came ashore. Of course I will be attending Dominican U of C at the time of the ride. October 9th 2010 is the date. I'll see you on the road....training!


Capt Chris

No comments: