Monday, November 30, 2009

Waiting On Weather

Anchored Luperon Dominican Republic

 Deciding when to leave is tough for anyone, but for me it really is difficult. I believe part of my endless what ifing derives from my Coast Guard experience. We always thought things through exhaustively and played out each foreseeable situation and then made a go no go call. I've carried this habit forward with me and has likely served me well, but is not quantifiable.

 My penchant for waiting for the best weather situation is still strong. The only downside to this is I have to wait and do alot of what ifing. Some sailors will go with marginal conditions and take some pain along the way. I avoid marginal when I can. My current situation in Luperon is stable and am enjoying the expat and cruiser community and the cheap food. I had planned on leaving this evening for Mayaguana, 186 nm to the north and arrive ahead of the next two cold fronts. But, I would just have to sit and wait several days in Mayaguana to advance further toward Florida. Mayaguana is remote, with few supplies, no bank, 260 people, but from what I understand endless beauty and fantastic fishing. But if I'm going to be stuck somewhere I prefer a place with cheap food and access to other supplies. If I was not alone or cruising with a bunch of other boats, I'd go to Mayaguana prior to the fronts.

So it looks like at least another five days in Luperon. No big deal, but my chances of making it home for Christmas is quickly dwindling. But still possible. With good, steady weather I can make very rapid progress. I also could sail along the north coast of Cuba and be in Key West in five days. But that track has its own set of perils.

So that is that. Please check out the view of Luperon harbor for Chrsta's deck. And don't forget to leave comments. I'd love to know how you like or dislike the videos.

Capt Chris

PS: If anyone is able to get Chris Parker's Bahamas text forecasts and pass it on, that would be great. The east Caribbean is available on his website, the Bahamas is not. And I'm looking for Tide Table for Galliot Cut in the Exumas in the Bahamas if anyone had a resource for that. Sanks.


8 comments:

Coop said...

Hey CC,

Love you blog. Been following it since before you retired. FYI, the latest video was posted as private at YouTube and won't play.

Unknown said...

Thanks Coop! I just fixed the privacy issue! Appreciate the feedback.

CC

Anonymous said...

Hi Chief, I posted to the wrong video, this one is great, no stopping & starting either. Your panning speed in real good, gives time to see the beauty of the anchorage.
Dad

Anonymous said...

http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/6169.html
I worked with Becky (wandering dolphin) in Oriental and have been folowing your blog and thought these 2 links may help

bill said...

Well done on adding music to your Video. Aas you panned around, I was expecting to see a Belly dancer doin the Hootchie Footchie on your Deck.

Bill in Miami

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the help regarding my needed weather and tide info! Really appreciate it.

CC

Anonymous said...

Capt.C
Love the St.Thomas to Luperon Video. Hardcore, 450nm in 80 hrs. Jen and I are in Fernandina Beach FL. Trying to make it to the Bahamas before x-mas. Maybe our paths will cross.
Cheers,
Maxwell with Jen
S/V Anastasia

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://avezyjyxi.builtfree.org/dybonom.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich