Friday, November 20, 2009

Goodbye Carribean Sea Hello Atlantic Ocean

On a Mooring Honey Moon Beach, Water Island, St Thomas USVI

The time has come to roll out of Honey Moon Bay. It's tough, I mean have a look at a typical evening sunset seen from Christa's deck, but I have a weather window to sail north by north west.



My track takes me from St Thomas west by northwest, passed the north coast of Puerto Rico to the southern edge of the Navidad and Silver banks (north of Cabo Samana Dominican Republic), south of Turks & Caicos, where I turn north northwest, pass west of West Caicos to Mayaguana. Total distance is 527 nautical miles. At 5.5 knots should take me about 4 days. Should be a nice run with bale out points of PR, The DR and the Turks & Caicos.

The weather is forecast to be 15 to 20 from the east, with isolated showers and thunderstorms. It would be nice if the wind came around from the east north east to give me a better angle. I may be running very far off the wind. Could give me a chance to try and pole out the jib with my whisker pole, which I've never had the opportunity to use.

So all is well, but a little sad to be leaving behind dear friends. But the future looks great and that cushions the blow. Wish me luck!

Capt Chris

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Capt Chris, fair winds and following seas!
If I may I'd like to make a request (or two). For the next four days will you wear your BC and always tie-in when you are in the cockpit and/or on deck?
Mrs Allaire, your thoughts?
Mike
formerly of 2LazyDogs

Anonymous said...

good luck and be careful, let the winds take you to your destination safe and sound.
dad

Anonymous said...

What was the name of the famous French sailboat racer that never used a harness? I don't remember because he was washed overboard a number of years ago. Jacklines are not that much trouble. BTW, could you drop a note to the Westsail board and get them to change your webb address? People find your blog from there and its really worth it for them to see your stuff. I know I really enjoy it. Keep having fun. Ken