Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Staging for a 12 Hour Sail to Bequia


S/V Christa
On a mooring Soufree St Lucia
Caribbean Sea
14’05.1N/60'57.6W

Current situated in the shadow of the famous Pitons. Another beautiful anchorage but surrounded by third world poverty and the bananna mafia. If you double click on the image you can just make out Christa on a mooring ball.

I left Marigot Bay around 10:30am for the short hop south along the St Lucian coast. The winds are NE at 15 to 20 knots, but the size of the island pretty much makes sailing in the wind shadow difficult. It took just over two hours to get all situated on the mooring. I am extremely close to shore with a little village of tin homes, naked kids running through the street, even pigs are foraging along the shore.

So I am ashore now, found an internet cafe to dash off a post to you all and check my email. I've now identified where the Customs and Immigration station is and plan on checking out tomorrow. Next move will be to Bequia, which is about 60 miles south. I'll need to pass between the islands of St Lucia and St Vincent and then St Vincent to Bequia. Generally it is an open ocean tradewind passage with the exception of the wind shadow of St Vincent. For curious folks, I am skipping St Vincent due to its crime rate. So Bequia is supposed to be an awesome little island located in the Grenadines. I look forward to another atmosphere as I have been in St Lucia for awhile now. I've got the itch.

More Later!

Capt Chris

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck with the new adventure, give us a call or skype when you land.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Hello Christian,
Five years ago I went on a Windjammer Cruise out of Grenada. We sailed north through the Grenadines. One of our stops was in a little jewel of a place called Port Elizabeth on Bequia. There is a sidewalk along the beach in the harbor with a lot of shops and eateries. One restaurant was called Frangipani's. It had great live music and the food was good too. I think you will enjoy Bequia. I sure did.
Mike
& Bella