Friday, April 10, 2009

Comments on the Blog

S/V Christa
Anchored Rodney Bay Lagoon
St Lucia Island
Caribbean Sea
14’05.1N/60'57.6W


I like them. I've noticed that I get fewer comments on this new blogspot compared to the sailblogs. I surmise this has to do with my current inability to to figure out how to get comments to display below the blog entry. Folks simply don't take the time to click on the comments button and have another window come up. I don't blame them. But when people see one comment, others are spurred to deliver there two cents. I've been working the issue with a bit of success. It still is a pain.

An option when reading each blog entry is to click on the title, then only that blog entry comes up with all the comments posted below the entry, old school style.

If anyone has the solution to fix this full on, please let me know. I have spent considerable time in google groups skulking around looking for the solutions to no avail.

Anyway, the picture was taken likely in 1993 timeframe aboard CGC Washington (WPB 1331) homeported in Honolulu. I spent four years aboard that ship. I still have the sword from that fish. Hence the term "marlin spike." Rope work, slicing and such is an art that originated in the old days of sail. A spike is an essential tool, even today aboard ship today that has so many applications. Today we use metal spikes, but back in the day the spike was cut off the Marlin. After we sawed the spike off the pictured fish, I spent many hours with 400 grit sandpaper and honing oil sanding it to a smooth finish. Anyway the picture was sent to me by Pat Hood, the big gorilla looking dude on the left. It was a great time in my life and likely the best tour I ever did in the Coast Guard. Things just seemed to get more complicated after my time in Hawaii Coast Guard wise.

So Marlin Spike Seamanship should create an avalanche of comments!

Capt Chris

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, great Post Chris!

Anonymous said...

Great blog. I've enjoyed reading about your adventures. My plan is to retire in 2010 (hubby retired last year); at that time we'll be cruising on our 37' Beneteau. Not sure how far we'll go...but we'll have plenty of time to get there. If I read you are cruising through Jax, FL it would be fun to meet with you and hear more about your travels. We live on the St. Johns River not far from the ICW.

Terri and Larry s/v Vixen, Jax,FL

Unknown said...

Ahoy Terri,

Thanks for checkin in. My folks live near Ocala and will be visiting them this summer. So I may be in Jacksonville on my north. Also my official address is in Green Cove Springs!

Have a great day!

Chris

Anonymous said...

Capt. Chris--Great blog! I'm also reading young Zac Sunderland's entries as he works his way up to your lat/long.
I've heard how busy things are in the USCG, so I suppose it was really fortunate that the marlin leaped up onto that hook... Regards, Gordo

Anonymous said...

Chris,
I read your blog everyday, since it's inception. I don't bother with comments unless I have something usefull for you, but I do have a question. Can you drop a crab/lobster pot over the side wen you are at anchored:

fletch said...

You might have gotten more comments on sailblogs because the main sailblogs page lists all their blogs with new posts in descending order, maybe generating more traffic to your site.

Anonymous said...

You look like a baby!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter Christian Lee,
Hope the day is wonderful. Talk to you soon,
Love, Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter, Captain Chris. Thanks for the Gorilla comment, you know I'm an emotional person, Hah. Looks like a beautiful anchorage, glade to hear yee old fish is still useful.

Lynn said...

I'm still with you, I just don't
comment. I like your new blog site.