Sunday, March 1, 2009

My Latest Hang Out


Check out this cool little beach bar down by the airport. One of the wonderful side benefits of my running habit is that I get out and about to areas one normally wouldn't just saunder into. Of course this can work both ways, but in this instance it lead me right to one of the cooler places I have discovered. It really goes against the grain as this beach bar abuts the airport. I wasn't able to get a photo, but just picture a 747 landing gear scraping the tops of the trees and you'll get a feel for said proximity. Why would a bar thrive in such an area? I have no idea and I would never have found it except I'm always looking for roads that are flat with minimum traffic for safety sake. So on one of my runs, I was in a mini shanty town when I discovered this thriving Danish community. The place was packed, they severe excellent food and beverage and provide chairs and tables. In fact you may have noticed that the bar is actually an old broken down bus. Furthermore they have wifi! If you look closely to the right you can see the little yellow structure that is the home to the young Danish folks who own the establishment. I like it!

So as you can see, I have not left St Martin yet. My weather window changed slightly. The weather was pretty good for a run south, but the wind came around just south of east. This likely would have meant more motor sailing at least for a portion of the trip. I would have taken the opportunity, but it looks like waiting 5 or 6 days is the better choice. Seems a cold front will penetrate very far south and bring the wind right around to the north east. Beautiful. I just hoping we can keep the wind near 15 knots so I don't have to ride a bucking bronco south. So at this moment, I'm planning on leaving Thursday morning bound for Guadeloupe.

Capt Chris


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! Wht a cool little place! Love and miss ya!

John said...

I've followed your blog for a long time. Love the new site - its great to be able to click and get larger pictures. Its also really nice to be able to post directly from a mobile phone via email on blogger. Take Care - John

Unknown said...

Thanks guys for following and checking in!

Chris