Monday, January 12, 2009

In Maho Bay with Christa


Capt Chris, 80's, winds East 15 to 22 knots
01/12/2009, Maho/Francis Bay


Well the new outboard is working like a champ and that pleases me greatly. The downfall of the Honda 2 HP delayed our intended departure from Coral Bay by a couple of days. So in true fashion the weather window closed and the winds picked up. However we only intended to do the 3 hour sail to Maho Bay on the north shore. I decided to suck it up.

We had the anchor up by sunrise and began the arduous bash to windward. We had numerous squalls with heavy downpours and occasional wind to 30 knots. Thankfully, the proximity of so many islands blunts the size of the ocean swells but you still need to do the Caribbean two-step into the 4-foot chop. We motorsailed out way around the east end of St John and made the turn into Virgin Gorda sound which brought the wind around to a more respectable angle. From they're just a 5-mile downwind run to Francis and Maho Bay on the north shore.

Christa is now safely lashed to a National Parks Mooring in Francis Bay/Maho Bay. It really is one large bay and for some unknown naming convention is split into Maho/Little Maho and Francis Bay. I love it here. Were moored just under the Eco-Lodge with its jungle like atmosphere and white sand beaches. But more importantly for me the bay is very well protected with calm conditions. Last night several mega yachts came and dropped anchor further out in the bay. These ships are really impressive. Suddenly the whole anchorage was alive with wi-fi signals but all of them password protected. At night they will turn on underwater floodlights which makes the coolest aqua marine glow.

The cruising plan is still evolving. I am still learning about myself and what my desires are. Admittedly they change. I like to immerse and don't like feeling the pressure of having to move to the next tropical island. I have found that naturally a place wears thin and then I need to move on. But for now with the hurricane season well astern and no immediate need to get down island I think we'll just enjoy the local area. I do see heading back to St Thomas soon to stock up on provisions. I also have a fungal infection on my left index finger that I have already seen a doctor about. It just is not going away and I think I need to see a dermatologist. Also it seems a ton of cruisers are piling in St Thomas and I miss the community. So I still intend to head further east and then south but it just may take me awhile as the Christmas trades have filled in. A weather window could be a ways out.


Capt Chris


No comments: