Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Hiking St John


I did some serious hiking yesterday on the Jonny Horn Trail. I lit out from the old church built during the slave trading days of 1753 which also serves as the start of the Jonny Horn Trail. Dodging the numerous wild donkeys I hiked nearly straight up for the first half mile. One thing I have bummed about since my arrival on St. John is my running routine has halted. To dangerous to run on these skinny roads. However if I can keep up the amount of walking I have doing to should be able to stave off an early demise. So the first section of the trail was tough but invigorating. The trail pretty much hugged a ridge line in dry forest scrub land and every now and again a beautiful view north toward Tortola BVI's came into view. At the end of the tail on was rewarded with Watermelon Bay and Watermelon Cay. Pretty much what you would expect on the north coast of St. John. Calm, clear beautiful water. It also is a turtle nesting area and I could see all kinds of turtles poking about as turtles tend to do. I was also able to skulk around some old ruins left over from the sugar plantations in the 1700's. All in all a great day other than the massive blister on my heal!

Capt Chris

No comments: